Atletico Madrid has a chance to consolidate its position in second place in Group A, as they welcome the Lokomotiv Moscow team, which in their first three matches proved their resistance to opponents.
• Atlético Diego Simeone scored four points in the first three games, with the only win, and played 1-1 in Moscow in the 3rd round of the 3rd round, with Jose Maria Jimenez opening the game 18 minutes, but seven minutes later Anton Miranchuk lost.
• Loko, third on two points, have never won in Spain and are still aiming for their first UEFA Champions League win this season.
• Atlético are unbeaten in six games against Lokomotiv. In the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League group stage, they won 2-0 in Moscow and Madrid, and João Felix opened the scoring in both games.
• Athleti also beat Lokomotiv in 1/8 of the 2017/18 UEFA Europa League winning season. Saul Niguez, Diego Costa and Coque scored in the first leg 3-0 at Metropolitano Stadium before a 5-1 success at Moscow's Lokomotiv Stadium, where Angel Correa and Saul found the gate, and Maciej Rybus is the only answer for Loko ...
• In Moscow, in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup group stage, the teams tied 3-3. Peter Odemwingie has scored twice for Lokomotiv and Sergio Aguero for Atlético.
• Rohiblancos started their 2020/21 UEFA Champions League campaign 4-0 to Bayern Munich, comparable to their worst defeat in Europe, but retaliated with a 3-2 home defeat to Salzburg ahead of a draw in Russia.
• Third in Spain in the 2019/20 season, Atlético's 11th UEFA Champions League group campaign and eighth in a row; all but two of the previous ten made the playoffs.
• Simeone finished second in their section last season behind Juventus with ten points. They both lost to Bayer Leverkusen (1-2) and Juve (0: 1), and in the other game they beat Lokomotiv 2-0. Athleti did not lose at home in the group stage, having collected two wins and a draw.
• Atlético beat Liverpool impressively in the round of 16 (1-0 h, 3-2 aet), but lost 2-1 to Leipzig in the quarterfinals in Lisbon.
• The Madrid club have advanced to the quarterfinals or better in five of the last seven UEFA Champions League campaigns - all under the guidance of coach Simeone.
• Atlético have lost only seven of their last 34 European matches (W20, D7), although four of these have been in the last nine.
• Rohiblancos have reached the UEFA Champions League twice and have reached the UEFA Europa League final three times in the past 11 seasons.
• The 2-1 Chelsea defeat in Matchday 2 of the 2017/18 season is Atlético's only defeat in their last 27 European games at their own stadium (W22 D4).
• After losing their first two home games against Russian clubs, Atlético have won the last four.
• In the first round, Loko drew 2-2 at Salzburg and lost 2-1 at home to Bayern Munich and then held Atletico 1-1.
• For the second consecutive season after Zenit in the Russian Premier League for the second season in a row in the 2019/20 season, Lokomotiv qualifies for the group stage for the sixth time overall and for the third consecutive seasons. Their performance in 2018/19 was their first since 2003/04, which also marks their third consecutive group campaign.
• In the 2019/20 season, Loko opened the scoring with a 2-1 win in Leverkusen, their first away win in the UEFA Champions League since a 2-1 win over Galatasaray in the first group stage of 2002/03; their record between the two wins, including qualifying, was D4 L9, but lost the next five matches, conceding two goals each. This left them behind Juventus, Atlético and Leverkusen.
• Lokomotiv have finished at the bottom of their section in each of the past two seasons.
• The Moscow club have lost 12 of their last 16 UEFA Champions League group matches, winning two; The first round was their first draw in the tournament since November 5, 2003, when their match at Internazionale ended 1-1. They have drawn three matches this season.
• Lokomotiv have also won only two of their last 17 European games, losing 13.
• A win last season at Leverkusen and a draw at Salzburg in Matchday 1 of this campaign are the only times Loko have escaped defeat in their last eight European away games.
• Lokomotiv have yet to win eight UEFA matches on the Spanish pitch, losing seven. The only time they escaped defeat - or rather their only goals - was in the Spanish capital when they drew 2-2 against Real Madrid in the second group stage of the 2002/03 UEFA Champions League.
Links and trivia
• Played in Spain:
Grzegorz Krychowiak (Seville, 2014–16)
• Played together:
Shime Vrsalko and Vedran Corluka (Croatia, 2011-2018)
• International teammates:
João Felix and Eder (Portugal)
• Koke missed a penalty: Spain lost to Fyodor Smolov, Russia on penalties in the 2018 FIFA World Cup 1/8 finals.
• Kieran Trippier's only goal for England was scored at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium in the 2018 FIFA World Cup semi-final against Croatia. The Croatians came back with Corluka as a substitute and won 2-1 in extra time.
• Luis Suarez played twice against Russia for Uruguay, in a 1-1 friendly draw at Lokomotiv Stadium in 2012 and a 3-0 victory in the World Cup group stage six years later in Samara and scored in both games. Smolov came on as a substitute in the 2018 match.