When and where was the draw?
The 2020/21 UEFA Champions League group stage draw took place on Thursday 1 October at the RTS Studios in Geneva.
Group stage composition
Who was involved in the drawing?
ESP (4): Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla
ENG (4): Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea
ITA (4): Juventus, Internazionale Milan, Atalanta, Lazio
Germany (4): Bayern Munich, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Borussia Monchengladbach
FRA (3): Paris-Saint-Germain, Marseille, Rennes
RUS (3): Zenit, Lokomotiv Moscow, Krasnodar *
UKR (2): Shakhtar Donetsk, Dynamo Kiev *
POR (1): Porto
BEL (1): Club Bruges
NED (1): Ajax
AUT (1): Salzburg *
TOUR (1): Istanbul, Basaksehir
DEN (1): Central Jutland *
GRE (1): Olympiacos *
HUN (1): Ferencváros *
* through the playoffs
2020/21 UEFA Champions League calendar
What are sweepstakes?
Bayern Munich (champions of Germany, UEFA Champions League)
Sevilla (ESP, UEFA Europa League winners)
Real Madrid (ESP)
Barcelona (ESP) odds 128,000
Atletico Madrid (ESP) 127.000
Manchester City (ENG) 116.000
Manchester United (ENG) 100.000
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 85.000
Dortmund (Germany) 85,000
Chelsea (ENG) 83.000
Ajax (Netherlands) 69.500
Dynamo Kiev (UKR) * 55.000
Salzburg (AUT) * 53.500
RB Leipzig (Germany) 49.000
Internazionale Milano (Italy) 44,000
Olympiacos (GRE) * 43,000
Lazio (Italy) 41.000
Krasnodar (RUS) * 35.500
Atalanta (Italy) 33,500
Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS) 33.000
Marseille (FRA) 31.000
Club Bruges (BEL) 28.500
Borussia Monchengladbach (Germany) 26.000
Istanbul Basaksehir (tour. Tour.) 21.500
Central Jutland (DEN) * 14,500
Rennes (FRA) 14,000
Ferencvaros (HUN) * 9.000
* Qualification for the playoffs
The club's odds are determined either by the sum of all points scored in the previous five years, or by the association odds for the same period, whichever is greater.
How does the giveaway work?
- The 26 teams that made it to the group stage were joined by six play-off winners, which were determined on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- The teams will be divided into four seed baskets. Pot 1 includes the holders, UEFA Europa League winners and the six highest-ranked champions from the six countries who have not qualified through one of the 2019/20 season titles. Bins 2 through 4 are determined by the club's odds rating.
- No team can play with the club of their association.
- In the case of associations with two representatives, the clubs were paired so that their matches were split between Tuesday and Wednesday. In the case of associations with four representatives, two pairs were formed. These couples were based on TV audiences.
Which clubs are paired?
To ensure that doubles clubs from the same country play on different days, where possible, the eight groups will be highlighted: Groups A through D will be red and Groups E through H will be blue. When a twin mace is drawn, for example, in one of the red groups (A, B, C, or D), the other twin mace - after it has been drawn - will automatically be assigned to one of the four blue groups (E, F, G, or H ). The pairs are as follows:
Bavaria and Borussia
B Seville and Atletico Madrid
C Real Madrid and Barcelona
D Liverpool and Manchester. United
E Juventus and Inter
F Paris and Marseille
G Zenit and Lokomotiv
H Human. City and Chelsea
I Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev
J RB Leipzig and Monchengladbach
TO Lazio and Atalanta
During the draw, the following winners will be announced:
When will the fixtures be confirmed?
The full list of group stage matches will be released Friday night after taking into account the calendars of participating clubs and stakeholders.
Tour 1: October 20/21
2nd round: October 27/28
Round 3: 3/4 November
Tour 4: November 24/25
Round 5: December 1/2
Round 6: December 8/9
The draws are provisional and must be finally confirmed by UEFA.